Monday, September 04, 2006

Hiking the East Rim Trail in Zion

Jim Lee, Kayson, and Christian on the East Rim Trail in Zion
On Saturday I took my son Jim Lee and two of my gransons, Kayson and Christian, on a short hike out to the East Rim trail. Since our Rockin' R Ranch cabin is located adjacent to Zion National Park's east boundary we can easily access the East Rim trail, the Cable Mountain Trail, and the Observation Point trail. (Okay, I admit it, our cabin is in a wonderful spot.) From the top, you can easily see where a little sand wash starts to drop forming the beginning of Echo Canyon. In just about 100 yards the canyon drops from a gentle meadow to a deep gorge hundreds, then thousands of feet deep. This is a photo of Jim, Kayson, and Christian standing near the edge of Echo Canyon.

ROLAND LEE PAINTINGS OF ZION NATIONAL PARK AT THE ST. GEORGE ART MUSEUM

I have hiked many of the trails in Zion National Park and have done many, many watercolor paintings of Zion Canyon. you can take a look at some of the paintings I completed this past month of the Sentinel, the Altar of Sacrifice, and other images of Zion National Park. I am getting ready for a special one-man-show at the St. George Art Museum in March 2007 which will feature sketchbook drawings and finished original watercolor paintings of Zion National Park and Zion Canyon.

No comments:

Post a Comment