Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Olympus High School Benefit Art Show

Marquee sign in front of Olympus High School advertised the Roland Lee Art ShowIt was a mixture of fine art and athletics this week as I was a guest at Olympus High School in Salt Lake City. We set up a one-man show of my originals and giclees in their fabulous "Art Space" gallery room and invited parents, boosters, and community members to stop by. A large percentage of the sales were donated back to the school and we were blessed that a number of collectors made purchases. The event was organized by my nephew Mike Smith, who is the head football coach at Olympus. While there I was invited by art teacher Jeremy Peterson to guest-teach a couple of the classes. It was fun seeing some outstanding artwork as students in the Olympus High AP Art class presented some of their portfolio pieces. I presented a powerpoint demonstration on the importance of sketching from life and the process I use in working my drawings into finished paintings back at the studio.

Roland Lee benefit art show at Olympus High School Art Space Gallery
Mr. Peterson also invited me to do a painting demonstration for students and guests in the watercolor class, and we worked together on creating some wonderful wet-into-wet watercolor skies. It was a pleasure to meet many of the teachers, administration, and students at Olympus High School and to visit with a new generation of artists who will surely be making an impact on the Utah art scene in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment