Monday, April 28, 2008

Virgin River in Zion Canyon Step by Step Watercolor Painting Demonstration

A Patch of blue - Watercolor painting of the Virgin River in Zion Canyon by Roland Lee"A Patch of blue" Watercolor painting of the Virgin River in Zion canyon by Roland Lee

This is a big 22" x 30" full-sheet watercolor painting I started last week and finished up today. I am trying to combine some of the water reflection painting techniques I learned from David Drummond (see my Lake Powell paintings), with the more traditional reflection painting technique I often use for rivers. What caught my attention in the scene was the colorful reflection in the still part of the river. A look at the painting will tell you why I call it "A Patch of Blue." Click here for purchase information on this painting

Click on step-by-step paintings below for enlarged views

How to paint water reflections demonstration in watercolor by Roland Lee step 1How to paint water reflections demonstration in watercolor by Roland Lee step 2

How to paint water reflections demonstration in watercolor by Roland Lee step 3How to paint water reflections demonstration in watercolor by Roland Lee step 4

1 comment:

  1. Hisham Salmin7:03 AM

    This is a really really beautiful painting...

    ReplyDelete